This third Beast upgrade adds obstacle avoidance, increased range, and EIS to this popular drone. It also has a very neat app update that now incorporates a very handy drone/pilot orientation indicator. Find it here with included 32GB SD card http://bit.ly/SG906-MAX . Note that the obstacle avoidance sensor may be sent separately if it is temporarily out of stock.
– Folding drone with nice carrying case for portability.
– Includes laser obstacle avoidance scanner that detects object within 20 feet and 120 degrees of front of the drone. The drone will automatically halt to avoid collision with such objects.
– 1806 1700KV brushless motors.
– GPS/GLONASS system for rapid lockon and accurate positioning. Drone can automatically return to home and land on command, loss of signal, and low voltage.
– Optical flow sensor for enhanced horizontal stability.
– Three axis stabilized gimbal with up/down remote tilt control.
– Sony IMX179 camera capable of taking 4K (4096 x 3072 pixels) photos, and 2K (2048 x 1080 pixels) video at 25 frames per second. Upgraded camera now includes electronic image stabilization.
– Photos and video are recorded to an onboard SD card. Note that my sponsor (RCGoing.com) is also including a 32GB C10 SD card with the drone to sweeten the deal. If this changes in the future, please let me know so that I can update this listing.
– 2S 3400mah LIHV battery provides approximately 23 minutes of flight time per charge.
– FPV transmission range of up to 800 meters.
– Controller range of up to 1200 meters.
– New “ZLL RC” app provides FPV video, advanced telemetry information, and advanced flight control features of follow me, orbit position, and waypoints. Additionally it includes a new drone/operator orientation display to aid in manual flight control of the drone if visual contact is lost. This is a REALLY nice addition to these type of apps. Check out its operation in the above video. I hope that other drone makers take note to include it with their apps. By the way, the ZLL RC app also works with SG906 Pro and Pro2 if you want to check it out. ZLL RC app is available here from Google Play http://bit.ly/ZLL-RC , and here from the the App Store http://bit.ly/ZLL_RC .
– The app requires use of a phone with 802.11ac WiFi. Before purchasing, use Google to verify that your phone does indeed have 802.11ac WiFi (not everybody has such on their phone).
– The drone weighs more than 500 grams, and requires registration in most countries.
– I had some problems with the app’s advanced flight control features of orbit position (wouldn’t operate), and waypoints (would crash app).
– Barometer sensor’s altitude hold was somewhat bouncy in the wind. Maybe the next upgrade to the beast might include acoustic sensors to eliminate the bounce?
– In low rate, the yaw was still a bit too quick in turns for the Z axis (yaw) gimbal to dampen. This resulted in some jerkiness of the video in turns. Maybe add a third much slower “Cinema” rate to the next upgrade to improve this?
Affiliate links: At no cost to you, I do receive a small commission for sales resulting from these links.
This video along with every video of the Quadcopter 101 channel was produced and edited with VSDC Free Video Editor. You may download this excellent, and no kidding “free” video editor here http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor
“Awel” by stefsax
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
music was shortened to fit length of video.
The post ZLRC SG906 Max Obstacle Avoidance Three Axis Drone Flight Test Review appeared first on Drone Magazine.